Saturday, January 5, 2013

Creative space


“A woman must have money and a room of her own if she is to write fiction.”
― Virginia Woolf, A Room of One's Own

For a long time I've dreamed of having a room dedicated to just being creative. I usually have a couple of projects on the go, and wherever I have lived I've tended to spread them out all over my dining table only to have to pack them up to use the table to eat or entertain.


Everyone needs a little pocket of the world that inspires them. It might be a room, it might be a table at a favourite cafe or spot in a local park. You don't need to physically own it - you just need to love being there and for it to provide you with the space to play and to dream. I'm a big fan of working in cafes, soaking up the buzz of whats going on around me. But I also wanted a dedicated space for my dreams to transpire into mess, a mess I didnt have to clear up until I was good and ready. On Friday I got just that. My 'dump room' was turned into a little studio, and I absolutely love it.

This is what the room used to look like. An old bookcase and random paraphernalia - just a place to throw things that didn't have a home. It's not really a space that inspires one to be at their creative best, now is it.

The room itself isn't very wide and houses sofa bed that is used for guests. So my studio solution had to allow for it folded out with room to move. I wanted a narrow but long desk so I could spread out my work, but also lots of shelving for all my art/design/psychology books and space for inspiring installations of my favourite things.


Here's the result. Ooh, it's just itching to be filled with precious objects don't you think? And a canvas ripe for inspirational bits and pieces on that wall. Added to the love - the whole thing was surprisingly budget friendly. I had a local timber company cut panels to size for the desk and the shelves, and bought adjustable shelving from a hardware store. A handyman came and installed the lot in just two hours. I also added an IKEA kitchen wall cabinet under the desk to store my art materials and have the filing cabinet on wheels as an extra rollaway workspace.


For now I've just plonked everything in but I'm looking forward to seeing how this space transforms in the coming months. For starters I'm going to invest in a new desk light, paint the magazine holders and make a new cushion cover for the chair. Have you got any good ideas? But really all that can take its time - I'm already loving sitting here just as it is.

Do you have a creative space of your own?

3 comments:

  1. That space looks absolutely divine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate. It's amazing what a difference it makes to actually wanting to get creative. Your environment - such an important factor. It's only taken me two years :-)

      Delete
  2. What a lovely space! I just rearranged my office space and I already want to change it. Love the blank slate of a glossy white and the simplicity of your desk. So much space...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...