Wednesday, December 26, 2012

As the sun sets in 2012



I've been in quite a really reflective mood lately, thinking about how 2012 played out and the twists my path has taken. The charming Miranti over at Pen & Peplum recently wrote about the things that she was thankful for over the year, and I thought this a great exercise as the year draws to a close.

This year was a roller coaster, no doubt about it. Sometimes nondescript, sometimes crazily intense, sometimes fun and often frustrating. I started 2012 in complete fog having, for the first time since I can remember, no real goal. It felt very very uncomfortable. Much squirming and sighing slowly gave way to questioning, reevaluating and challenging who I am and where I thought I was going with my life, and how I was living it. I faced some big decisions which had me closing chapters and opening new ones. I was tried and tested. Yet here I am - very thankful for journey.

For my family; my Rock of Gibraltar, and for my friends old and new. But particularly P, who has been patient with my never-ending ambivalence, and who brought me out of the box when my mind was in lockdown mode.

I'm thankful for my home, my very own, which provided me with a place of solitude to rest and rejuvenate.

I'm thankful for the opportunity to travel freely, for the clarity and inspiration that time in Sweden gave for me to create a beginning from an ending.

I am thankful for the situations where I wasn't myself, and for the resulting discomfort that reminded me of the person I am not.

I'm thankful for the professional highs that have uncovered skills I didn't know I had, and the lows that have forced me to contemplate necessary change in the coming year.

I am thankful for all those random events, serendipitous finding of books and courses, and conversations with people that have culminated in clarity in how I can merge my talents in a way that has fills me with real excitement.

I am thankful for the return of my chaotic creativity.

So 2012, thank you for the many challenges, the joys, the connections and the reconnections. Thank you for sending me uncomfortable jolts and timely reminders when I needed them. And above all, thanks for helping me strip back the old canvas and creating space for a new vision which collages old and new.

2013 is all about implementation. Boy, I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...