Sunday, July 22, 2012

How I start the day

Earlier in the year I decided it was time to overhaul my lifestyle, including my diet. I went to see a lovely naturopath who set me on the path of cleansing my system. She wanted me to give up grains and sugar for a few months. There was really no problem in that, except for the fact that I was addicted to carbohydrates. 

Dinner and lunch were less of an issue. I could take a protein packed homemade soup or salad with meat to work and have no problem inventing dinners. The main challenge was definitely breakfast. I loved the smell and taste of hot toast in the morning and scoffed a couple of slices with vegemite everyday (hardly satisfying - no wonder I was snack hunting by 10am). The other dimension to this is I eat breakfast at work so can't really be cooking up a plate of eggs in the office. What would I eat?

Thats when I came up with the following almond and yoghurt combo which I've been eating it every work day for six months, amazingly without getting bored. I do mix it up a bit - sometimes I add a swirl of coconut oil, sometimes chopped pear or berries in summer, and in winter some apple poached with cinnamon and vanilla bean. At the moment I'm eating it without fruit as I'm not eating any sugar.

An important component is the activation of the almonds. Activated nuts have been sprouted which mobilises the digestive enzymes that make them easier to digest. This helps with metabolism. My naturopath said soaking them overnight in the yoghurt works a treat, and saves some time too.

Almond, coconut and yoghurt breakfast

(Makes enough for five breakfasts)
You'll need 5 small containers (about 2 cup capacity). 

Ingredients
5 cups plain whole fat yoghurt (try and find one that does not contain milk solids, definitely NO fruit or sugar added to it!)
2 1/2 cups raw almonds
5 teaspoons flaked coconut (again, look at the packet and make sure there is no sugar added)
5 teaspoons chia seeds
Vanilla powder or pure vanilla essence
Ground cinnamon

Optional
2 1/2 teaspoons coconut oil
Ground ginger
1 1/4 cups chopped green apple, pear or berries

Make the following additions to each of the five containers



Step 1   Add 1/2 cup of almonds



Step 2   Add 1 cup of yoghurt



Step 3   Add 1/4 teaspoon each of vanilla powder or essence, ground cinnamon and ginger if using



Step 4   Add 1 teaspoon each of flaked coconut and chia seeds, and coconut oil if using



Step 5   Mix the whole lot together



Step 6   Add the lids and store in the fridge.



Grab one every morning and you're ready to go. If you're adding fruit chop and add just before eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...