Friday, May 25, 2012

Friday night and the lights are low

(SYLC 19 & 27)

Routines. In theory I like the idea of them but it comes down to it I get bored… and very quickly. It's who I am, I like mixing things up. I like doing things in different ways. Experimenting. I'm the person that never follows a recipe to the tee.

In saying that, I do have a couple of routines and could very well do with introducing some more. For example, I do my washing on a Saturday morning, a habit which is a hangover from many years of having to wash at the laundromat. I kept it because I like having everything clean and put away by Sunday evening (she says as she stares at pile of unfolded laundry from last weekend). Another is the nightly ritual of getting my breakfast and lunch prepared for the next day. Just doing this I feel that things are fairly well under control. It means I'm eating well and not spending money unnecessarily.

However there are a number of areas I fall short. I do need to introduce a routine around backing up my computer/phone/ipad/camera and cleaning out emails. I lost my phone a week ago, and while iCloud was a saviour, I should be actively backing up on at least a monthly basis. I also need to get better at those little tasks that I tend to put off - like getting back to people on small things. Setting aside a time to do both of these would help me keep on top of them.

But this topic doesn't end there for me, as lately I've been thinking about routines in terms of 'me time' instead of task time.

People asume that living by myself I get alot of time to myself to just be. Nuh uh.

My life is pretty full. Don't get me wrong, I like it this way. I love going out, meeting new people and learning new things, taking the opportunities that come my way. But there is a large part of me that is introvert and I definitely recharge my batteries best by hibernating alone.

Many years ago after my divorce I lived alone for the first time in my life and loved it. While the weeks were busy with work and events and the weekends for catching up with friends, Friday night was sacred. I came home, cleaned my apartment, had a glass of wine and unwound in any way I chose. I did alot of thinking and reflecting in those hours.

This week I decided to do a bit of a reset after another busy period, and as part of that I'm reintroducing Friday nights as sacred. At least for a month I'll come home, do one house job, then settle in to catch up on myself.

I must say, I'm not so secretly looking forward to it!


I dream of this house when I think about hibernating.

3 comments:

  1. I am so desperate to come up to Sydney and crash with you and join you on your Friday night! Do you mind? I just invited myself. Following you on this challenge, I have missed you and really want to come and just sit and chill with you. With a wine of course. Can you put that in the routine sometime soon? xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Friday nights sound divine. I get nights to myself once the kids are in bed as hubby works night shift. I might have to schedule one night a week as me time and sit and reflect too. Give myself permission to relax and unwind :) I hope you enjoy your sacred Friday nights!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE the sound of you sacred nights - beautiful idea!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...