Sunday, February 19, 2012

We are such stuff as dreams are made on

(SMLC 07 - vision board)

On Friday night I saw the film 'A Week with Marilyn'. Based on a true story, the film centres on a young Englishman who has a passion for all things film. Against his parents wishes he pursues his dream of working in the industry taking any job available; making tea, running errands, eventually landing himself a position on the set of Marilyn Monroe's film 'The Prince and the Showgirl'. It's the beginning of a wonderful adventure and highly successful career. 

What struck me about this story was the courage and passion this young man showed in following his dream. He let nothing stand in his way - he didn't bow to the pressure of his family and the expectations of the times. He took his life by the reins and drove it at full throttle.

I have a great admiration for one of the pioneers of the scientific study of happiness, Michaly Csikszentmihalyi, and his research on what makes for an engaged life. In addition, I also love what Sir Ken Robinson has to say about following your passions. At the end of 'A Week with Marilyn' Kenneth Branagh quoted the following line from Shakespeare, which, I think sums up these two concepts wonderfully.

"We are such stuff as dreams are made on; 
and our little life is rounded with a sleep."

The Tempest, Act 4, scene 1, 148–158

From very early on we all have dreams of what we want our life to be - great hopes, ambitions, and even courage. Yet sometimes, somewhere along the way we let other people and situations take hold of the reins to our life, being guided by a kind of current like fallen leaves in a stream. We get caught up in 'can'ts' and  'shoulds', in what is determined to be easy and safe, or following what we think is the acceptable path. There are a rare few who have escaped this altogether. In certain aspects of my life I'm guilty for sure.

Just recently I was presented with an opportunity that on paper ticked all the boxes. Situations like this don't come up all that often, and my head was telling me I would be mad not to take it and it's accompanying challenges and benefits. Yet my heart just wasn't in it. My gut churned. This opportunity fits in well with where I have been and where I am now, but not with my dream of the future.


This week's challenge is about creating a vision board, which I am renaming a dream board. On this board I will start to build up images that come to me over the coming months, or that I have collected already that reflect the next steps in my journey. The visuals will help me unfog this vision I started to formulate many years ago, but has been covered by the layers of daily life.

It's time to free my dreams. Here I go...
Click image to enlarge

PS: another great little book is 'Follow your heart - finding purpose in your life and work' by Andrew Matthews

6 comments:

  1. I love your dream board. I love reading quotes like you have included. I will definitely have to watch that movie, it sounds like something that fits in very well with this week's challenge

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great. I love that you want to unfog your vision - I agree - these things do get covered by daily live (which is a bit like groundhog day).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that you've not limited it to being complete.. that you'll add to it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have made mine but I haven`t blogged about it yet but I hope to get to it today.

    I love that you renamed it dream board and that it is something you can later add to. I can`t really add to mine but i think I will do a digital one in the future that I can add to.

    Love all the creative pushes on your board.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this post - i will have to catch that movie too, but simply loved your story telling! and your dream board is wonderful - keep dreaming and adding to it!

    Deb @ home life simplified

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this - have just finished my vision board today.... it has inspired me to do one for smaller areas/rooms in my life, so I can see what I would like the outcome to be like. good luck (ps I remember reading Dibs in high school - great book!).
    Sooz

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...