Saturday, February 4, 2012

Climbing to my peak

(SMLC 04 - the wheel of life)

I'm definitely a multitasker. At work I'm constantly juggling, at the same time I tackled multiple subjects at uni. I can cook, talk on the phone, watch TV and read emails on my iPad all at the same time. Right now while I write this blog I'm watching the news. Some research to says multitasking is actually bad for us, that we end up doing nothing well. Unfortunately, it seems to be a necessary part of life for most people, though not necessarily always a good one.

What I describe here is something I call micro-multitasking; doing a whole raft of small things at the same time. Yet what I'm not good at is what I call macro-multitasking; working with multiple parts of my life at the same time to maintain a balance of these areas. In recent years selected aspects of my life have tended to get focus and become all encompassing, while all other aspects fall by the wayside. Last year, my study and work filled every hour of the day to the detriment of my body, health, time with family and my friendships. It's been all and nothing. It's unhealthy.

So this year want to find a more balanced approach to life. I know it's going be hard for me to do but the process in this week's challenge I hope will help - an opportunity to take at look at where I expend my energy and whether I'm living the (balanced) life I want to live. Firstly, I came up with some categories of my life that are important to me right now.

So, what does the balance look like currently?
Self care
I've not looked after my health and have gained alot of weight in recent years. It's not that I eat really badly, but the cheese and crackers after work, and the after lunch Freddo Frog all add up. I also had a couple of health scares, both personally and with close friends - enough that on finishing my degree at the end of last year I vowed to myself 'no more excuses'. So I took myself off to a nutritionist and got motivated. Already, six weeks in, I feel so much better. I'm also going to bed earlier, planning some none-food treats like a facial every so often, and learning to be not so hard on myself. It's going to take some relearning...

Personal growth
There's always room for growth. Investing in development of myself as a person and continuing to nurture, learn and grow will help me not only be the best me I can be, but help me help others grow too.

Relationships
This is a tough one that I know I really need to work on. I have so many beautiful friends that I have not been in touch with, or been there for them as much as I'd like in the past few years. I must recognise that my degree and work situation became all encompassing and that we can't be everywhere at once, but I now feel ready to turn this around. I'm an independent soul but recently reflected that there is a down-side to too much self-reliance. I've put little effort into building partnership with someone special. Perhaps it's time...

Creativity
I've had no energy nor the inclination to be creative for a while; I've felt like a wrung out sponge. I loved my degree but it drained me. All creative pursuits suffered - my daily writing to my dear F, drawing, playing music, sewing etc. I've had a block, big time. 

Home
Almost all my life I've shared my living space with someone else. On buying my own apartment at the start of last year, I felt unconfident in my own decorating choices. A year in I'm ready to make my own mark on the home that I love. Four weeks in Europe for some design inspiration should help :-)

Work, career, mission
Making people's lives easier and more pleasant has been my life's work through design. It's taken me all over the world and I'm so thankful for a great career. But my other passion is to help people in a much deeper way, those who are struggling to find their way, to cope with certain parts of their life, to get a smile back on their face and discover their passions. Last year I graduated from psychology with the intention of making this type of work my next career. But where to start?

Fun, recreation
Having fun, laughing, being curious and exploring are essential parts of life. My world in the past few years on the whole has been far too serious. I need colour!

Really, it's time find that girl who six years ago flew half way around the world to climb a mountain in snow with a man she'd only met randomly over a dessert.



2 comments:

  1. I loved reading this and can relate to a lot of what you have written and feel. The only difference is that I have been engrossed in 'motherhood'. I too shall be trying to rediscover the girl who put on a backpack and trekked through places like Turkey and Africa and was 'daring'. I also want to create our home to reflect 'us' this year...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this - from the beauty of your wheel to your reflections- can't wait to hear about the man of the mountains!

    Deb @ home life simplified

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...